What is a work permit?
Four stages of work permit application.
The work permit application process is often time-consuming and headache-inducing. However, with our help in planning and preparation of the required documents, the process becomes more efficient and successful. The four stages are:
Pre-approval from authorities – Obtaining the written pre-approval from the Labour Authority prior to employing foreign workers in Vietnam
Document preparation – Preparing and collating necessary documents (including translations) for lodgement
Lodgement – Discussion followed by submission of the work permit application and required documents with the Provincial Labour Authority
Collection of work permit – Approved work permit is collected from the Labour Authority
What you will need to apply.
The required documents for the work permit application process are detailed below. These documents can vary slightly for each specific application or individual circumstance, such as for some teachers, however the standard documents detailed will apply for most cases.
From the employer:
- Job description
- Business license*
- Seal register*
- Draft of employment agreement or labour contract
From the employee:
- Criminal history check from the employee’s home country police**
- Criminal history check from Vietnam (if the applicant currently resides in Vietnam)
- Work permit health check from an authorised Vietnamese hospital
- University degree** or experience certificate(s)/letter confirming five years’ relevant work experience**
- Confirmation letter confirming relevant management experience**
- Summary CV/record of work history
- Passport and visa/resident card*
*This document requires notarising in Vietnam, most commonly at the People’s Committee.
**This document needs to be authenticated by the consul and legalised and requires:
- The document is stamped by the employee’s embassy/consulate in Vietnam, translated then legalised at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Vietnam, or
- The document is stamped in the employee’s home country by the appropriate government agency, and then legalised at the Vietnamese Embassy in that country.
Application process and timeline
How to apply
for a Vietnam
It is the employer that applies to receive approval to employ the individual in that specific role. The employer can ask outside parties to assist with the process on their behalf, but they can’t pass the responsibility off to the employee to solely sort out their personal Work Permit.
When recruiting, employers should ensure that their potential employees meet and understand the requirements indicated before they make an employment offer. In addition, allowing sufficient time to gather documents and apply for the Work Permit prior to commencement of the individual with the Vietnamese employer will make the take-on process simpler and less stressful for all. Acclime will advise you throughout the process