The quick guide covers the requirements and benefits of a temporary resident card (TRC) in Vietnam for foreign individuals, and details at the processes and timeline to obtain one.
TRC (Temporary Resident Card) is a document issued by an immigration authority or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to a foreign individual who is permitted to reside in Vietnam for a certain period of time. TRC has the same validity as a visa.
The law does not require foreign individuals to obtain a TRC, however foreign individuals often choose to do so, considering the substantial benefits and convenience a TRC brings. Not all foreign individuals who intend to stay in Vietnam can apply for a TRC, as it depends on their visa type. Only foreign individuals who are issued LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ, TT visas can be issued the TRC with the same symbols.
The duration of TRC depends on the entry purpose, visa type, the application and validity period of the passport. – 5 years for investor’s visa (with symbol ĐT) – 2 years for working visa (with symbol LĐ).
Note: From 1 July 2020, the maximal validity of TRC will be 10 years applicable to large investors.
Key required documents:
- Certified true copy of the Enterprise
- Registration Certificate
- Written request from the sponsor company signed and stamped by the sponsor company
- Application form for temporary residence card
- 2 recently-taken photos in 2×3 cm size, with white background, front view, bare head without sunglasses
- Original passport, with the Vietnam valid visa
- Documents proving the type of visa (eg. Work Permit, Investment Registration Certificate, etc.)
View our quick guide infographic to clearly see the process and requirements for obtaining a temporary resident card in Vietnam.